Friday, July 4, 2008

Era Of Entrepreneur Is Here

July 22, 2007


I grew up in a family whose members worked for people other than for themselves.


Jobs, careers and monthly salaries came from corporations or institutions. No one in my family tree started a business -- small or large.


I was the kid who helped with lemonade and cookie stands in the neighborhood; it was not my idea to start them. Surprise and awe, therefore, were my reaction when I started dating my now husband, visiting him at the fine woodworking shop he owned, eating at his brother's restaurant, and listening to the tales from my brother-in-law's consulting jobs as a fire inspector.


My children grew up in a dual universe -- around people who worked for themselves and those who worked for others.


My eldest daughter babysat for years, saved her money, and bought a seemingly suspect -- yet affordable -- thoroughbred when she was 16 years old. She broke him to ride, trained him in dressage and jumping, and showed him in eventing. When she went to college, she sold him for eight times the amount for which she bought him.


Again, surprise and awe were my reaction. In my 54 years on Earth, I had never done such a thing; she accomplished this by age 21.


My son started buying candy in bulk at BJs when he was in middle school and sold it for profit in the neighborhood. Every Sunday night, we drove to BJs for the weekly stash. He made flyers and learned how to change his prices when competitors undercut his. His bank account grew, and he bought different items such as T-shirts and other gear, turning better and better profits.


He learned how to advertise to his friends via the Internet, set up and track matters on a spreadsheet, and manage a bank account.


I am glad that my children grew up knowing they have choices for their professional lives and can take their own ideas and turn them into realities. This is the lay of the job land now -- flexibility, ingenuity, and change -- and seeing a variety of career paths is important for children as they grow up.


I have learned a good deal from my husband and children about entrepreneurship.


A writer my entire life, I'm beginning to reap small economic rewards for the words I put on paper. Who knows -- next tax season, I might need a tax accountant to file the fees I collect from a variety of my entrepreneurial jobs. Then again, I could just ask my husband, daughter, or son.



No comments: