Friday, July 4, 2008

Living Is Easy, So Is The Drive

All my necessities are just outside my door or a short car trip away.


I drove down North Tryon Street to the Presbyterian Hospital office suites with my sunroof down and Fantasia Barrino belting out "Summer Time."


It wasn't summer time. It was one of North Carolina's deceivingly warm, winter days, when spring and summer seem right around the corner.


I was in a wonderful mood. Why would any woman in her right mind be excited to go to her annual mammogram? I was excited that I had health insurance to pay for it. I was hopeful that all would be well.


Most of all, I knew I was finally at home in University City. Driving to the appointment was simple, because I had been to the office the previous two years. I couldn't click my heels to find it, but it was an easy drive. My directions and resources were all in place.


Becoming comfortable in a new neighborhood is a combination of feeling safe where you live and putting living resources in place. University City makes that easy. I live in Highland Creek, a multi-culturally diverse place with interesting people who are a wide variety of ages.


On our cul-de-sac, we have retirees, as well as couples with new babies. I have teenagers, and my son's good buddy lives across the street. We have neighborhood parties, and everyone looks out for one another. If we go away, it is easy to get a neighbor to take in our mail, feed our cats, and make certain all is well.


A three-minute drive from our house is our local grocery store and gas station. We feed an army of teenaged boys on North Mecklenburg's basketball team, so we typically shop at BJ's Shopping Club, a 15-minute drive from our home. We could stop off en route to BJ's and go to the movies and shop at the Concord Mills mall; we can also go close to Presbyterian Hospital for a variety of stores.


My dentist's office is on Prosperity Church Road, also near my home. If I turn at Mallard Creek Church Road, I am at my doctor's door. If I follow my doctor's advice, I keep going on Mallard Creek Church Road and go to the gym at the University City YMCA to work out.


Sometimes I can get myself to do that, and sometimes I can't. It's not because it isn't easy to do. In University City, the living is truly easy.


In UNC Charlotte's Urban Institute (www.ui.uncc.edu/) Regional Growth Open Space Survey, residents are asked to rate the following Quality of Life items: educational and job opportunities; parks and open space; cultural and arts activities; services and activities for children, youth, and senior citizens; entertainment, restaurant, and shopping opportunities; air and water quality; availability of healthcare services; availability of housing; preservation of historic buildings, sites and districts; crime and public safety; and traffic congestion.


I'd give all but traffic congestion a rating of good to excellent in University City.


For me, University City is the only place like home.



No comments: